My approach is to work together with clients to provide personalized information and options as early as possible in the legal process. My goal is always to reduce the level of stress for my clients by addressing both personal and legal conflict in a practical, collaborative, and cost effective way. In the event that settlement is not possible, I possess the courtroom skills necessary to move litigation forward efficiently toward a final resolution.
My practice includes all areas of family law, such as marriage or cohabitation agreements, separation, divorce, property division, custody, guardianship, access, and spousal support. I also have extensive experience in the area of child protection. I can act as counsel for parents dealing with the Ministry of Children and Families and I have acted for children in the care of MCFD.
Background and Professional Activities
Fiona received her Bachelor of Arts Degree (Psychology and Mathematics) from Simon Fraser University in 1997. She received her law degree, with Distinction, from the University of Alberta in 2001, and she earned her Master of Laws degree from the University of Cambridge in 2005. Fiona worked as a Judicial Law Clerk with the Supreme Court of British Columbia and was called to the Bar of British Columbia in January 2003.
More recently, I have been involved with the following associations and organizations:
- Secretary, Children’s Law Subsection, CBA 2016/17
- Member, Hear the Child Roster, Hear the Child Society
- Member, Collaborative Divorce Vancouver
- Member, Family Law Subsection, CBA
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, CLEBC Child Protection Conference – “Acting as Counsel for Children,” October 2015
- Author, Annotated Family Practice 2016-2017, CLEBC
- Author/Editor, PLTC Practice Material, Family Law – Child Protection and Adoption
- Author, Family Law Sourcebook, Child Protection Chapter 2016
- Presenter, Legal Services Society – Child Protection