Shelagh Kinney* joined the Family Law Group at Watson Goepel LLP as Associate Counsel on July 4, 2016.
I have over 26 years of experience advising and representing clients in family law matters including complex, high net worth cases and those involving inter-jurisdictional issues.
I offer guidance, strategic planning, and support to clients throughout the court process, by assisting with the preparation of family law agreements including cohabitation, marriage and separation agreements, and, in appropriate cases, by way of alternative dispute resolution including mediation, arbitration, collaborative divorce, and parenting co-ordination.
My practice includes parenting, financial and support matters. In addition to having appeared as counsel in all court levels in British Columbia and in the Supreme Court of Canada, I am certified by the Law Society of British Columbia as a family law mediator, family arbitrator, and parenting co-ordinator.
Professional Accreditations and Affiliations
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- Canadian Bar Association subsections: Family Law, Children’s Law, Wills and Trusts, Elder Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), Appellate Advocacy
- Certified as a BC Family Law Mediator, Family Law Arbitrator and Parenting Co-ordinator
- Law Societies of British Columbia and of Upper Canada
- Member, BC Parenting Coordination Roster Society
- Registered Trade-mark Agent, Canadian Intellectual Property Office
- Trial Lawyers Association of BC
- University of Victoria – LL.B
- University of British Columbia – BA
Year of Call and Jurisdiction
- 1990 – British Columbia
- 1989 – Ontario
*Shelagh Kinney provides legal services through Shelagh Kinney Law Corporation.